Skip to main content

United Church's Engage with Love and Justice Gathering

Here are some videos I am posting to be part of my "virtual booth" at the United Church of Canada's online "Engage with Love and Justice" gathering, November 3-7. This looks like it will be an exciting event! And registration is free! To register, go to:

https://united-church.ca/events/engage-love-and-justice-gathering

You'll find my booth under "exhibitors." And be sure to pick up some virtual Korean rice cake at my booth when you are there!


VIDEOS

1. ARRIVING AT THE OFFICE. I work in the Department of Partnership and Ecumenical Relations in the General Assembly Office of the PROK. Here I am surprising everyone as I arrive filming a video (1 minute, 8 seconds):


2. BEING INTRODUCED TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY. The PROK held their 106th General Assembly this year in Cheongju. Here I am being introduced to the Assembly (in Korean), along with my mission co-worker colleagues (2 minutes, 9 seconds):


3. GREETINGS FROM THE MODERATOR OF THE UNITED CHURCH, RICHARD BOTT. The PROK General Assembly received many online greetings from partner churches from all over the world. Here are the greetings from Rev. Dr. Richard Bott, Moderator of the United Church of Canada (1 minute, 35 seconds):


4. MONDAY NIGHT MISSION CO-WORKERS GROUP. One of the groups I participate in is a support group for mission co-workers here in Korea. During covid we have been meeting online and last month we recorded a clip where some members of the group introduce themselves and say a little bit about the group and its work (9 minutes):


5. CONVERSATION WITH REV SUNGMIN HA. SungMin is studying for his DMin in Chicago and I have been meeting with him regularly on Zoom so we can practice Korean and English. I surprised him today during our weekly session by asking him to give me his take on his church, the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (1 minute, 55 seconds):


6. CONVERSATION WITH REV. CATHERINE CHRISTIE. Catherine served in the PROK General Assembly Office as a mission co-worker from the United Church of Canada between 2010 and 2017. I asked her to tell me a little bit about the history of the long-standing relationship between the PROK and the United Church (9 minutes):


7. LEARNING "LET'S LIVE LIKE A ROCK." One of the issues that remains unresolved here in Korea is the war-time experience of the so-called "comfort women," Korean women who were forced into sexual slavery by the Japanese Imperial Army during the occupation, something Japan has never apologized for. Here I am with the Young Adult volunteers (YAVs) from PC(USA), along with others, learning the song "Let's live like a rock" which is used at the weekly protest gatherings (28 years and counting) in support of the comfort women's struggle for justice.

With the masks you may have trouble recognizing which one is me - I'm the one in the middle who is slightly out of sync with everyone else! (2 minutes, 17 seconds):





Comments