Skip to main content

FAREWELL TO KOREA

For the past couple of years, the coming of the new year has provided an opportunity for me to produce a blog post looking back over my past year in Korea. I may still manage to produce a blog like this in the next few weeks, but since my four-year term in Korea has now come to an end as of December 31, my most important work over the past few weeks has been to say goodbye to Korea. Let me share a few snapshots of what this has been like.


Participating in the PROK's outdoor memorial service for victims of the Itaewon disaster at Seoul Plaza, Nov. 4:


Saying goodbye at the English language ministry at Hanshin Presbyterian Church, Nov. 6:


Giving a seminar presentation on the Canadian contribution to ecumenical mission in Korea for the Ecumenical Mission in Korea Study Group, Nov. 17:


Visiting YangSeong Church in Anseong with Patti Talbot from the United Church of Canada, Nov. 27:


Delivering a farewell speech (which I managed to do in Korean!) at the PROK Executive meeting on Nov. 29 (pictured here with Rev. YeonHong Kang, Moderator of the PROK):


Visiting Wonju to say goodbye to Margaret Storey, former Canadian mission co-worker, and Abigail Reed, current global mission intern from USA, both of whom are currently living in Wonju, Dec. 12:


Making a pilgrimage to the Osan campus of Hanshin University to say goodbye to Prof. HyunKee Nah (during a very Canadian-style blizzard), Dec. 15:


Farewell dinner with PROK General Secretary Rev. Changju Kim and mission colleagues Emily (Germany) and Lydia (USA), Dec. 15:


Saying goodbye to children at Yaedarm Church, after leading them in a special five-week English-language program on prayer, Dec. 17:


Giving a lecture on the 124-year-long partnership in mission between the PROK and the United Church of Canada at SungAm Presbyterian Church, Dec. 17:


Accompanied the PROK Juridical Foundation on a visit to Iksan to see the PROK's Rural Development Institute, which had been started in 1958 as a project of the United Church of Canada (this involved giving another farewell speech in Korean!), Dec. 18:


Attending the PROK General Assembly's Christmas thanksgiving service, where I got to say farewell (in Korean!) again, Dec. 20:


Moving at the office (actually, it wasn't just me—the whole department was moving to a new office), Dec. 21:


Lots of chaos, as Lydia and I discovered!


Delivering a farewell meditation (again, in Korean!) at the 282nd Monday night prayer service for peace and reunification at the PROK General Assembly Offices, Dec. 26:


(As I will be the last long-term mission co-worker from the United Church of Canada to serve in Korea, my departure marks a significant historic shift for the PROK that needs to be recognized, as PROK General Secretary Rev. Changju Kim is noting here.)


Farewell pizza gathering with the mission co-workers group at the General Assembly Offices that same evening:


Photo booth farewell photos with colleagues at Sinchon (a very Korean thing to do!), Dec. 27:


Receiving farewell gifts at the PROK's year-end worship service (along with giving another farewell speech in Korean!), Dec. 29:


As I emphasized (in Korean!), I am sad to be leaving Korea but I will be going back to Canada with many happy memories!


Saying goodbye to my Korean conversation partner, JungHo, Jan. 2:


Saying goodbye to Rev. KwangIl Lee, former mission co-worker from PROK to United Church of Canada, Jan. 3:


On the morning of my departure on Jan. 5 there was also a special photo opportunity to recognize the United Church's financial contribution to the PROK's program for peace and unification on the Korean peninsula, as the final wrap-up of my work in Korea, Jan. 5:


A whole bunch of people accompanied me to the airport at Incheon to see me off, Jan. 5:


At the departure gate, waving farewell to Korea, Jan. 5:

(Be back soon, don't know when!)

Comments